Tuesday morning I got a reply, mostly confirming what I had suspected (the service was setup for PPPoE) and giving instructions on how to change the appropriate setting in the modem. Which I did Tuesday afternoon after work, only to discover that the line's dropping packets like a sieve when I try to push traffic over it. *Bah!*
I sent a second email off to the ISP this morning and got back a response with instructions on upgrading the DSL modem's firmware. Which I did this afternoon. To no avail. If anything, I think the problem may be a little worse.
New circuit installs can be a royal pain in the ass. I have had any number of T1 or 56K circuit turn-ups turn into circuses. Hell, it took SBC a month to get one of the two T1s going to Classical Magnet to fly right (ultimate culprit: a bad backplane in a piece of equipment in SBC's Hartford CO). I really, really, don't want to go through a bad turn-up on a circuit that's in someone else's house. The saga is not helped by the fact that I have a cold that's currently kicking my sorry ass.
My third email to the ISP went out too late to get a response today. We'll see what tomorrow brings.